Opening reception for "Connections"
January 4, 2013
Macon Arts Alliance is pleased to announce that Macon-artist Thomas Sanders will hold his first solo exhibition at The Gallery at Macon Arts Alliance during the month of January 2013. "Connections," will feature more than twenty paintings by the 34-year-old artist who holds degrees in graphic design and art education from the University of Georgia. An opening reception will be held on First Friday, January 4, 2013 from 5-8 p.m. The exhibit is free and open to the public. Light refreshments will be served.
Sanders previously exhibited work at the Athens Institute of Contemporary Art in Athens, Ga. and at various framing shops in central Georgia. His paintings are beautiful, abstract compositions that focus on color, texture and composition. His goal is to create beautiful objects that evoke the imagery of far-away galaxies and other worlds.
"I draw on an idea of an expanding universe and all of the expanding coming together," explained Sanders. "A lot of it has to do with composition and what appears beautiful within the confined space of a square or rectangle."
"We are excited to be able to feature Thomas' paintings in his first solo exhibit in Macon," said Jonathan Dye, director of communications at Macon Arts Alliance. "There is a big audience for abstract paintings of such beauty. We expect this to be a launch pad to his career as an artist in central Georgia."
Though Sanders has a background in graphic design, his interest lies in painting and art making. He has worked as a freelance designer and a substitute teacher in the past, but he is current focused primarily on his painting. He draws inspiration from large concepts that he breaks down into simple, elegant paintings.
"It is about things being broken apart and then coming back together," continued Sanders. "I simply try to combine space and color in a way that creates a feel of a deconstructed floating universe."
That universe, though broken and reassembled, is also beautiful. Come see for yourself. "Connections" will be on display through January 26. A closing reception will be held on January 18 from 5-7 p.m. The Gallery at Macon Arts Alliance is located at 486 First Street in downtown Macon. The Gallery is open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday.
Like us on Facebook
- Ocmulgee Painters' Society Group Exhibit at Middle Georgia Art Association Gallery
- SHREK the Musical at Macon Little Theatre
- Soul and Springwater Festival at Mellow Mushroom - Macon
- Fourth Friday: Sky Over Macon at Museum of Arts & Sciences
- A Very Merry Holiday Pops at The Grand Opera House
- Choral Society of Middle Georgia: Handel’s Messiah, Stanley Roberts, conductor at St. Joseph Catholic Church
- Open Studios and First Friday Reception at Contemporary Arts Exchange
- Night Blooming Serious at Campus Black Box Theatre
- Cinderella at Theatre Macon
- AN OLD TIME MACON CHRISTMAS at Cannonball House